Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Artist Statement


    For this piece my idea first started with the image of a 3D plane that looked a little like an antique. Without thinking much of the process I just started designing the plane and cutting it out of a black foam board. When I was thinking of making it look old I also had these old post cards that I had collected. They were designed from old posters of national parks. For the project I wanted to mesh these two looks together. To make the project more original I made some of my own postcards that looked similar to the retro ones. Using Photoshop I took photos of trips that I have taken. The photos that were put on the plane had a low color scheme and had some text explaining where the picture were taken. Collaging the images on the plane was a little difficult because all the space needed to be filled on the plane's surface and there were some weird angles. It was a very active project which made it fun to work with and unlike with some other pieces I have started working on I did not get bored with this one.

       It was a long process: Designing the plane, figuring out the measurements and dimensions for it, cutting it out of the board, making the post cards, printing them out, and then finally cutting and gluing them onto the plane. Although I did not accomplish more than one project this term I still feel like a got a lot done. It was a new learning experience for me because I have never done something like this project nor have I made a 3D project really.
      Once I was done with the plane project the next one I wanted to get done was quick project because I had already started it freshman year. It was this drawing that represents my grandmother. The drawing looks like that Japanese sun flag during World War Two. In the red I drew bad memories of her and in the white good ones. The the part that I wanted to finish was the middle at first I started with a drawing of the solders putting up the American Flag in Iwo Jima. But then I erased that and in its place I drew the islands that she was born in, a Japanese girls holding a samurai sword, and people walking through the mountains. these were wood block images that I wanted to try to copy the style of. Since I am not the greatest painter I wanted to work with it a little more to feel a little more out of my comfort zone. During this last week I am working on this project and trying to finally complete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment